Monday, May 07, 2007

Cause for Celebration!

I just checked my word count, and I only have a little over 20,000 more words to go if I stop at the maximum preferred Wild Rose Press count. I still have a few chapters to complete; I’m not at the end yet. I have additional scenes to piece together in the chapters I’ve written, and A LOT of revisions and additions to make. All in all, 20K words shouldn’t be so hard to come by, and here I was thinking I wasn’t very far into it at all.

I’ve gotten lost in this story, which is a good thing. That’s exactly what I want my readers to feel. When things are going well for me, they go very well, but this story has been hard where I go through moments of panic thinking I can’t finish it, but then I go through moments where I feel it’s the best thing I’ve ever written.

I AM going to finish this novel, and I’m learning something along the way. Don’t push it when the words won’t come, but don’t sit and wait for them to come. Sit down and write, and usually (hopefully) it’ll happen. Yay! Don’t you writers love this feeling?

This one has also been harder because of the research. I’ll be writing and suddenly, I get to a point that requires further research and I just get stuck.

I know some writers who’d have 20K words in a day or at least a week, and I’m not one of those people, mostly because I don’t have the time. I write when I can but, unfortunately, it doesn’t happen everyday like I know it “should”. But guess what? I’m not using “should”s anymore. I am using “able”s. I should write everyday, but I am not able, so I will write whenever possible and not beat myself up over it.

I “should” fold my clothes that I washed this weekend but guess what? I’m not doing that either, because then I wouldn’t be “able” to write right now, LOL. Writing comes first (okay, second to family and unfortunately, a paying job). Food, then dishes then clothes, LOL. I won’t worry about the grass…it’s not yet up to my knees.

No comments: