Thursday, January 03, 2008

Resolutions? New Traditions.

In 2008, I’m starting a new blog tradition. I always like to wait until January fully starts before I get going on the New Year. I can’t start thinking about my upcoming plans on January 1 because I’m still trying to get into the swing of things. I can’t even think about goals until a week after January 1. (I’m doing okay, though, it’s only January 3rd and I have goals for the upcoming year.)

Resolutions? Nah, not me. It seems too…clear-cut and unbendable. Your goals, ideas and inspirations change throughout the year. Resolutions are like those characters you create without an eraser. Even if you end up not liking your character, you might feel like you have to stick with him. Well, guess what? You don’t have to! Just like you don’t have to stick with your goals if they change. Though we must be tenacious in pursuing our ambitions, such as writing, our goals have to grow and change as we do.

Well, I guess I do have one resolution this year stacked upon a whole lot of goals. I resolve to keep to a blogging schedule and I hope to gain interest and new readers. And just so you know what my tentative and hopeful blogging schedule is for the upcoming year, here it is below:

The first Thursday of the month, I will blog about me. The goings-on in my life, news, pictures, whatever. It may be simple, it may be contemplative. It may be later in the evening (like now), but today is the first day of my new and, hopefully, improved blog.

The first Sunday of the month, I will post my TOP EIGHT. Since it’s 2008, I will blog/list 8 certain things and many of them revolve around the theme of the month. (This month, it’s 8 things I want to do this year. Next month, since it’s Valentine’s Day, it will revolve around romance and will be 8 romance novels I would want on a desert island).

The second Wednesday of the month, I will post a movie review. What I thought of it. Since I love movies, and I think watching movies help authors gain knowledge of story, character and technique, I will post my thoughts and hope to hear yours!

The second Saturday of the month, I will blog about a tip/technique. It may be about writing, it may be about exercise, crafting, tips to improve memory, stretches, etc. It’s a Tip and Technique about having a simpler life. (Hey, these tips may help me, too, LOL!)

The third Thursday of the month, I will blog about a specific person. It may be an author promo, it may be an interview, it may be a review or it may be an un-published author or even a reader. But whatever it is, the focus will be on one specific person.

The fourth Tuesday of the month, I will have a contest. It may be a simple contest, such as send me your email, it may be a writing assignment, an exercise, or whatever my mind comes up with. But whatever it is, I plan for it to be fun! Now, since money IS an object and postage can get expensive, I can’t promise that it’s always going to be a huge prize. But I hope to make it fun and worthwhile for readers.

See how I am with my resolutions? Nothing is set in stone. But this is my plan for my blog for the upcoming year, which is better than I have been! I haven’t been blogging much at all, and my goal is to gain readers and stick to a schedule. (Because lately, schedules and routines have seriously been lacking in my area).

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Ava Rose Johnson said...

Good luck with the resolution Emma. I'm trying to get my blogging schedule in order too.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm far too spastic to have a scheldule. Kudos to you for trying!

Pamela Tyner said...

Great schedule!