Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Movie Review: Enchanted

Okay, if you haven't seen the movie, you may not want to read the following post about the new movie, Enchanted with Patrick Dempsey, Amy Adams, James Marsden and Susan Sarandon. With that cast of characters, what's not to like? Add a cute little chipmunk that makes you crack up when you least expect it, and you've got what makes Disney movies so fantastic.

At first thought, I was worried about my niece watching it. After all, what if kids grow up to believe in happily-ever-afters because of a silly movie, or book or...??? I never thought that until a friend said that about herself, and now it makes me wonder. The happily-ever-after ended in a way that the princess hadn't originally intended, which was good but which also bothered me because of what my niece would think. Her mother has been divorced and is with another man, and this was in the back of my mind during the movie because I don't like to think that she might think you can just give up on the guy you originally thought you loved because you realized you love someone else now. How do you explain that to a six-year old who is saying "I thought she was with the prince?" It's hard to explain to her that they only knew each other for a day and didn't really love each other. In real life, I think couples give up way too early in life. Instead of trying to make it work, they split up, then they have to try even harder as a single person! It makes no sense! I realize there are reasons, but not all of them make sense if you really think about it. You can fall out of love if you stop trying, if you don't do anything together but bitch and moan, if you don't have a relationship anymore and do fun things you enjoy together and separately. But you can stay in love just as easily (that should be saved for another post, huh?) I'm just saying...sometimes I fear there are those couples who don't even try anymore, and it's sad. Don't get me wrong...I also know there are those relationships (or people) that cannot be saved or aren't worth saving and there are some things in a relationship that should never be tolerated.

Back to the movie...the prince and princess didn't even know each other, so of course they weren't in love and it all turned out great. I liked it enough to buy it (and I only buy movies I'll watch again, but I'm a sucker for romance!)

1 comment:

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Enchanted. I need to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I agree with you. I think people give up too easily on love or blame the other person.