Sunday, May 11, 2008

Get started now!

"The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It’s as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today." - Nolan Bushnell


I hate to use my dear hubby as an example, but I have to. He has ideas that blow my mind sometimes, but he doesn't do anything with them. He has personal goals, but he's always too busy (or too tired after being too busy) to pursue them.

Don't get me wrong, he does pursue his goals. He's running a business, and right now he thinks about writing a screenplay but doesn't have the time. Of course, it isn't his passion like writing is my passion. He'd like to do it...someday, but there are things in his life much more important. (More important than writing? Yikes!)

How many of us give up because the outcome isn't right now? How many of us are simply too tired after a day of work (I am, all the time), too busy with things we have to do instead of things we want to do?

It can take years for something to develop (it takes 9 months for a baby to develop in a woman's womb, then another 18 years for them to develop just enough to graduate. Ah, but do we ever develop to our full potential?)

I am the biggest procrastinator ever. Even if I make lists, I'll learn to ignore those things on the list I don't want to do just yet. So how in the world am I going to offer advice on how to get started and stay motivated?

Well, as Nolan Bushnell says in the above quote...Just Do It! Start Now!

And that is this months writing tip.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

No comments: